[Geysers] Webcam times 12/26/09-12/28/09

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Mon Dec 28 16:45:37 PST 2009

Here are some times from the webcams on Saturday, Sunday and Monday
12/26/09-12/28/09  taken from the chat log
( <http://yellowstone..paulthompson.net/camchat/#StreamOnly>
http://yellowstone.paulthompson.net/camchat/#StreamOnly) and from Pat
Snyder, thank you for all the reports.

I am back from my Christmas trip to Denver and noticed that we have had 3
Beehives at 0834 + 10min.  Hum, maybe worth a look in the morning?  Not a
lot of data in the logs due to the holiday activity and the cams not always
working.  Cold in the basin today (28th), -16 this morning but up in the
20's this afternoon.  They still need more snow, part of the OF boardwalk is
still visible.

Thanks for the warnings about webcam times Lynn, it's not always easy to
figure out what is erupting and I agree the times should be viewed as
"possible eruptions" especially for the distant geysers.  While Riverside is
usually easy to see when it starts it gets harder to tell if the wind is
blowing or later in the eruption as the steam diminishes.  Aurum can be
tricky too, sometimes confused with big eruptions of Pump or steam from the
Giantess area.  Little Squirt - I am convinced that some of my reports about
it earlier were probably not right but I am not sure what else could be
generating that much steam there?  Oblong is tricky too, sometimes easy but
other times it could be something in the Grand group or wayward Grotto
steam.  Depression is tricky if the Dwarfs are active or it's hot (not much
of a problem this time of year) or the wind is blowing hard.  Plume -
sometimes mixed up with OF steam especially when only seen on the static cam
where you are lucky to get one good screen shot of it.  Of course the other
problems with reported times are the obvious time-zone related errors (it
would be a whole lot easier for me if the UGB was in EST), typing errors in
the log or my emails (I have made errors in geyser name and times in the log
at various points although usually someone catches it).  I will try to keep
the reports coming through the winter and it will be interesting to watch
the Beehive, Lion and Depression activity on the cam following this recent
Giantess eruption.  Of course seeing it up close will be a whole lot better
and I already have the countdown going on my whiteboard at work......

Saturday 12/26/09 (static cam and streaming cam down most of the afternoon)

Beehive 0843ie,

Daisy 0847ie (?),

Depression 1228ie,

OF 0806, 0858, 1215,

Sunday 12/27/09

Aurum 0712,

Beehive 0838, Ind 0829ie,

Depression 1335ie, 1631ie,

Grand 1344,

Lion 1026, 1139, 1245, 1353, 1457, 1605,

OF 0712, 0802, 0929, 1059, 1410, 1542, 1709,

Plume 1148, 1348, 1445,

Riverside 1324ie

Monday 12/28/09

Beehive 0824, Ind 0808

Depression 1236, 1556ie,

Grand 1008,

Little Squirt 0726ie,

OF 0808, 0922, 1106, 1240, 1405, 1542, 1707,

Plume 1215, 1323, 1422,

Riverside 0738ie. 1322ie,

Graham Meech