[Geysers] What is it--Identification of steam clouds

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 27 20:07:59 PST 2009

I won't even attempt to guess this steam cloud from the webcam.

Thank you to all the webcam operators and people who are providing reports of possible eruption times from the webcam.

THE FOLLOWING PORTION OF THIS POST IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT:

I've been doing some "auditing" of reported eruptions of selected geysers based on wecbam reports in the webcam blog and/or relayed from the webcam blog to the listserv.  Reports for some geysers, generally those where the water column is visible, such as Beehive and Lion, are almost always correct.

Identification of Grand has significantly improved with expanded operators to move the streaming webcam around the basin.  During the summer of 2008 there were many false reports of Grand on the yellowstone.net streaming webcam thread.  Now there are almost no false reports of Grand on the webcam blog.  Similarily, identification of Castle from 10/17 through 11/30 was excellent.

There were 12 reports of Oblong between 10/16/09 and 11/30/09, plus four reports of "Oblong?"  Only one of the 12 reports of Oblong was not supported by electronic data.  Two of the "Oblong?" reports were not supported by data.  In other words, either 92% (11/12) or 81% (13/16) were correct.

Two of the 10 reports of Aurum during the same period were not supported by electronic data--80% correct.

The electronic logs are not yet available to check the one West Triplet report in november, so I arbitrarily chose August 2009 to check reports of West Triplet in the webcam blog against electronic data.  Five of the 11 reported eruptions of West Triplet were not supported by electronic data.  Or 55% (6/11) correct.

I haven't done a complete analysis on Riverside yet.  I hadn't planned to do an audit until I stumbled across one day in October when both of the two Riverside times on reported on the listserv from the webcam blog were definitely not Riverside.

My point:  "Let's be careful out there" (for those of you who remember the TV show Hill Street Blues) using steam cloud observations in data analysis.

Lynn Stephens