[Geysers] Geyser Carol 2009

sgryc at comcast.net sgryc at comcast.net
Tue Dec 22 15:21:14 PST 2009

Dear All,

I apologize to all who have been anxiously awaiting this year's geyser carol. I don't know where the time has flown since my first such effort in 1997 (i.e. I'm Dreaming of a Mastiff Function ). This year's carol is a touching anthem of regret titled Away In Back Basin. So drink a hot toddy to loosen your vocal chords and dull your aesthetic senses and then sing out as you would at a Giant Geyser start.

Away In Back Basin
(to the tune of "Away in a Manger")

Away in Back Basin
No gazers do tread.
Echinus is silent,
The Monarch is dead.

No Steamboat eruptions
Now mount to the sky.
The tourists still go there,
But gazers ask, "Why?"

Destroyed is the geyser
That we called Pork Chop,
And years ago vandals
Caused Minute to stop.

Where Son of Green Dragon's
The best you can do,
Back Basin is no place
You want to go to.

Well, that's a bit of a downer, isn't it? I think we need to reprise a more uplifting carol from 1999. Remember this?

Let us gaze! Let us gaze! Let us gaze! (posted 1999)
(to the tune of "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!")

Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the Beehive's so delightful,
And since we're here just three days,
Let us gaze! Let us gaze! Let us gaze!

Both Anemone's vents are popping,
And they show no signs of stopping,
And Lion is in steam phase,
Let us gaze! Let us gaze! Let us gaze!

When it's quarter past ten at night,
How I hate sitting out in the storm!
But if Giantess goes tonight
All the spray will keep me warm.

The Giant Geyser is steaming,
And its viewing platform's teeming,
So if they’re no Grotto delays,
Let us gaze! Let us gaze! Let us gaze!

Seasonal greetings to all with the hope of great gazing in 2010!
Steve Gryc