[Geysers] boomerang

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Fri Dec 11 14:34:49 PST 2009

Welcome back Carolyn.  Here is my unscientific summary of recent activity as
viewed from the webcam.

The biggest changes recently have been Depression erupting at 2-4 hour
intervals and Lion having very long series (up to 32 eruptions based on
Ralphs data).  Some days Lion erupts every hour and other days you don't see
any while it recovers.   These started in October and are still happening.
There have been 9 eruptions so far today.  These links show the dramatic
changes:

http://gosa.org/geysers/LION/articles/F%2007%20Lion%202009%20Eruptions%20per
%20Series.jpg

http://gosa.org/geysers/LION/articles/F%2002%20Lion%202009%20Series%20Interv
al%20Graph.JPG

http://gosa.org/geysers/DEPRESSION/articles/F%2003%20Depression%202009%20Rec
ent%20Interval%20graph.JPG

OF - 90min predictions and 60 for shorts work well.  We have had some days
with multiple shorts (Long, Short, Long, Short) and most others with all
long.

Daisy 2h10m to 2h50 is pretty common.

Riverside - not sure really but 24h quad intervals are not unusual, so looks
like it is "normal".

Plume from 50-80m, many around an hour.

Beehive - not sure but 12-24 hours seems about right, often in the 14-18
hour range

Little Squirt - it looked like it erupted several days running based on
steam but maybe it wasn't really erupting.  Then multiple days before seen
again.

Grand - continuing the fall 6h45-10h45 window seems to get the Grand
eruptions but given the lack of sunlight its hard to know for sure.

Castle is still having a mixture of major and minors, too hard to keep track
of by webcam.

Occasional Penta eruptions seen.

Enjoy your winter back in the park, look forward to the Madison geyser basin
reports too :)

Graham Meech