[Geysers] Geyser question -- Imperial Geyser

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 3 20:13:33 PST 2009

Marler mentioned Imperial Geyser in his 1966 August monthly report:

            Imperial Geyser:  The most signal geyser activity to occur during the year was the rejuvenation of Imperial after 37 years of dormancy.  Due to its isolated location on the south side of the south Twin Butte in the Lower Basin, no sustained observations have been made.  Neither the beginning nor the end of any eruption has been observed.  However, it has been observed that an eruption lasts for several hours.  Observations made in 1928 and 1929 by Allen and Day indicate that an eruption lasted from two to five hours.  Current eruptions seem to be of equal length and are judged to be 30 to 40 feet in height.
            How long the current cycle of activity lasts no doubt depends on how soon the eruptions open up the fractures in the bottom of the crater permitting gas leakage, which gas is necessary to bring about an eruption.  Imperial’s crater is in glacial gravels.  The same is true of Excelsior’s, resulting in active cycles being of comparatively short duration with dormant phase lasting for many years.

Eruptions of "30 to 40 feet in height" combined with no observation of either "the beginning nor the end of any eruption" plus subsequent information included in Marler's Inventory indicates this was/is probably the same vent that is currently erupting.

Lynn Stephens