[Geysers] Geyser Report 8/22-8/23

Karen Webb caros at xmission.com
Tue Aug 25 10:49:04 PDT 2009

We reported in a series of Atomizer minors beginning with what we are
sure was the first minor while we waited out Artemesia on the 22nd.  We
noticed as we left (unfortunately just missing F&M, but we had a child
to get home to) that neither made the log book (not sure why Art is
there and Atom isn't, as we turned them in at the same time).  Anyway,
had a question for the more experienced Atomizer watchers,  We had a
consistent 90 minutes between minors till the interval between the 3rd
and 4th minor, which was two hours.  Each minor was preceded by 2-4
episodes of good overflow (what I call water "sheeting the cone") and
the later ones would have small surges as if an eruption might be about
to start.  These happened in the neighborhood of 7-13 minutes apart and
started about half an hour before the actual eruption.  The last minor
we observed, which had excellent (50-60 feet) height and a duration of
about 90 seconds, behaved like it might do a quick comeback  major.
Then the steam bumps started.  By the time Artemesia with its 28 minute
duration finished, a storm was coming in, it was getting dark, and we
were wondering if *all* the minors had been 90, then 120 minutes apart,
if we might be looking at a 3 hour wait for the major (gut feeling was
that the next one would be the major despite notes I've seen about 6-8
minors before the major).  Love Atomizer, but not quite that much.
    Anyway, wondered if anyone could comment on the longer minors with
the multiple episodes of overflow that seemed to delay the minors?  In
know Dave and Kyle had been out a day earlier and seen a very normal
progression including a quick comeback major.  My only experience with
this sheeting the cone/no eruption thing is very early in the action
before the first minor really occurs and after that if you see overflow
and bubbling, you get an eruption.  (I even remember Rocco telling me
once upon a time that some gazers felt justified calling that phenomenon
the first minor.)
Thanks,
Karen