[Geysers] White Pyramid

Ralph Taylor ralpht at fuse.net
Sat Aug 22 13:44:53 PDT 2009

The mound beside Pyramid Geyser is known as White Pyramid Geyser Cone
according to Lee Whittlesey's "Wonderland Nomenclature".  Other names that
have been used are "Snow White Pyramid", "White Cone", and "White Pyramid
Throne".

The mound was formed by a hot spring or geyser that is no longer active,
although in cold weather some steam can be seen emerging from the remnant of
the vent.  Geologist Arnold Hague noted

"...it must have been a geyser for a long time, but never one of the first
magnitude... there is nothing to suggest impulsive, violent eruption nor the
building up of an outlying mound.  The White Pyramid may have ceased to play
owing to the lack of sufficient pressure to force the water to the top of
the exceptionally high cone.  The true explanation, however, is more likely
to be found in the breaking out of new geysers not far distant."

Ralph Taylor

  _____