[Geysers] Obama visit to YNP

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Sun Aug 16 22:21:50 PDT 2009

Suzanne and I were there when Carter visited in 1978, and sad to say the
amount of security is far, far greater now.  (this is not political, has
nothing to do with Obama, but just the times.)  In '78 he watched the
eruption from the benches - there was a screened-off area directly in front
of the inn's main walk to the benches.  The press had their own little
platform (Suzanne and I were on it, our puke-yellow VIP vests were
sufficient ID), and the Prez and his family just walked up and watched.
There were probably 3000 visitors who were able to see him along the rest of
the benches.

We heard from a ranger that he was going to take his limo down to Morning
Glory, and Suzanne and I hoofed it down there (she didn't have a bike).
There was no part of the basin that was closed (I don't recall the parking
lot situation, although if any of the lots were emptied I think I'd have
remembered it.)  We got past Grotto when the limo zipped by - he waved, and
we waved back. The head naturalist, Maggie Short, was with him.

There were visitors at Morning Glory who got a bit of a surprise.  The
secret service, before the limo got there, asked to check their backpacks.
The agents also looked in the garbage can, from what I remember.  The
president got out of the limo, shook the surprised visitor's hands, then
went to look at the hot spring (he climbed on the handrail for a better
photo. heh).  He then went over and looked in Spiteful from a discrete
distance.

They then zipped back, waving at the tourists who were equally surprised.

I don't remember if he came and went in a copter - I don't think so, because
he also stopped at Fountain Paint Pots - where his daughter Amy was
entranced by a ground squirrel.

He didn't have much luck with geysers, other than filthy.  F&M were dormant,
he "just missed" Castle and "just missed" Fountain - Morning hadn't started
yet.

Anyway, a rather different sort of visit this time.

Hey, no matter the politics, it's cool to see a Prez watch Old Faithful.
Sort of iconic, you know.

Paul Strasser

  _____