[Geysers] Geyser Report 8/9

Ben Hoppe ben.hoppe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 20:07:07 PDT 2009

All times, unless otherwise noted, are from Sunday, August 9.

My hands are not typing this very fast because I spent a good part of
a very brisk evening on Geyser Hill. It is quite cool, and has been
for the last couple days. The sun was out almost all day today which
was a nice change from the last couple days. Hopefully it will warm up
a little bit.

Beehive erupted this morning and was seen 0525ie. I was up on the Hill
for water in the Indicator, which started erupting at 1900. Beehive
began 16 minutes later at 1916. The wind let up slightly around the
time the eruption started so it was still somewhat tall. After the
eruption, the wind let up even more for the rest of the night. I was
hoping for a Depression for the next hour and a half, but was
unfortunately just left to chill between Depression and Lion, which
had not started a series as of 2030.

Lion had a series this morning and was seen 0659ie and 0923ie
Artemesia 1630
Aurum 0750, 1812
Grotto 0631
Rift 1217
Grand 1456
Daisy 0552, 0811, 1034, 1302, 1527, and I thought I saw a steam cloud
around 1814ie?
Fountain 0845ns
Great Fountain 1506
Riverside 0906, 1545ie
Plume intervals were mostly between 52-60 minutes almost all day,
until what was either a single 84 minute interval, or possibly a
double interval. I was at Beehive and Depression the entire time, and
I don't think I missed one.
Little Cub intervals I recorded were running between 36-40 minutes
Castle at 1847 turned out to be a major
Plate 2004

I have been meaning to comment on this for a couple weeks now, but
every time I write a report, it slips my mind. The Visitor Center is
coming along. It may not look different as it is still largely white,
but the white Tyvek covering has been replaced by a different white
surface. On the rear side (facing the Post Office), they are beginning
to put on what looks like some roofing. I heard from a co-worker that
President Obama is supposed to dedicate it next August, so it really
has to get done on time! It is also sounding like President Obama may
be in the park late next week. Probably around Saturday.

I also heard this great comment the other day about Grotto. I was
sitting on a bench, waiting with a co-worker for Grotto Fountain to
start. Suddenly I heard a visitor loudly state, "It looks exactly like
a turtle poking its head out of a shell!!" I looked at Grotto, then my
laughing co-worker, then at Grotto again, and I realized, he was
actually quite accurate. I had never looked at Grotto like that, and
now I'll never look at it the same again.

The insight that you get from visitors is priceless. I really wish
that family that I had heard at Giant a few years ago was here this
year. The youngest child was reading the signs and said, "Well there's
Bijou Geyser, Catfish Geyser, Mastiff Geyser, and that other one over
there," as he pointed at Giant. As active as that geyser is this year,
it couldn't be truer!

-Ben Hoppe

--
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ
lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son