[Geysers] Smokejumper Hot Springs

Ott, Stephen OTTS at byui.edu
Sun Aug 9 11:06:16 PDT 2009

Gazers:

On July 24, I hiked to Summit Lake and beyond.  I had the impression the Smokejumper Hot Springs and Summit Lake Hot Springs were near the trail past Summit Lake.

Summit Lake Hot Springs was easy to see from the trail, and I originally thought that I found Smokejumper Hot Springs just over a ridge on the north side of the trail.  I fortunately encountered a hiker from Washington who had an excellent map showing Smokejumper Hot Springs and a coordinate grid marked on the map.  I put the coordinates into my GPS and headed off into the forest.

I'm not sure how Smokejumper Hot Springs were ever first located, because even when I was less than 100 yards away, I still couldn't see any sign of hot springs.  The springs are in a large depression lower than the rest of the forest floor.  I marked the coordinates at the edge of the basin at N 44° 25.240' and W 110° 57.216' at an elevation of 8630 ft.  I have placed photos at http://emp.byui.edu/otts/recreation/ynp/summit_lake/summit_lake.html if others would like to look and verify that they are of Smokejumper Hot Springs.

Stephen Ott

BYU-Idaho Chemistry Department