[Geysers] Yellowstone Science article

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Mon Apr 27 07:11:05 PDT 2009

Here's Tami Blackford, the editor's, response to my mentioning the
reversal of that image to her: "Yes, that image was transposed. Thanks
for noticing!"  Sad that those who live in Mammoth don't notice these
things beforehand.  Either they don't know better or don't look at
details carefully, both are poor excuses when portraying science.  But
we humans do make misteaks (sic).

As for the content of the article, I too found it greatly
under-researched.  If I recall correctly it is a condensed version of a
master's thesis, probably written some time before being reproduced in
YS.

But at least this type of info is getting published, hopefully leading
to more media attention on the subject.  Which brings up a point.  Media
are portraying geothermal as a green energy source with seemingly little
adverse impacts.  The Obama administration is pushing this agenda and
they are essentially the boss of those who might object, namely NPS and
USGS.  I'm sure most of you are aware that using geothermal aquifers
kills geyser activity.  That proven fact should be brought to the
media's attention whenever the subject comes up.  In the USA we've
already lost geysers at Steamboat and Beowawe in Nevada and Mammoth in
California.  In my opinion, since few others will advocate for this
cause, GOSA and its' associates should take up the task.  In other
words, I believe that it's time for GOSA to become politically active
rather than being a passive hobby club.

Thanks,
Udo Freund
Blessed are those that run around in circles for they shall be called
big wheels!