[Geysers] Geyser reports 4/23-25/09

Bill Warnock billwarnock at wyellowstone.com
Sat Apr 25 20:00:43 PDT 2009

Further reports from cool YNP:

4/23/09

Grand  2337 (4/22) E  0626 E  1422  T2C
Plume  0647  0842  0940    1224  1409  1553
Riverside  1300 ie
Daisy  1339
Beehive 1630  Indicator 1620

4/24/09 (all from OFVC log since I wasn't in Park)

Castle  0904E  maj  2036E maj
Daisy  1100
Grand  0525E  1251 web  2100E
Beehive  0918 ie
Lion  1124 ie  1250

4/25/09 (Steve Eide arrived late last night and is here for a week;  he's responsible for early reports before 10 am)

Daisy  0748 ie  1155
Riverside  0728  1400
Grotto 0711 ie
Plume  0835  0937  1046  1142  1333  1432
Depression  0813 ie
Little Squirt  0822 ie
Grand   0529E  1302 G2Q
Lion  1212 init.  1339  1508 minor
Castle  1222 major
Artemesia  1259 ie
West Triplet 1311
Beehive 1605

As I left Park at 1530 at Lower Basin, a woman was off boardwark on the edge of Celestine Pool taking pictures.  I shouted at her she should not be in that area.  Then three of her companions emerged above Silex and jeered at me.  I told them they were there illegally.  The parking lot entrance is barred by yellow tape, saw-horses, signs saying boardwalk reconstruction underway, and finally Bear Management Closure.  Part of the boardwalk is torn up.  Does Bear Closure not apply to poor construction workers?  As I continued over the rise, there were a van and two other vehicles with people again wandering around Leather Pool and up on to the boardwalk by the Paintpots...again evidence of the silliness of the closure of Lower Basin to all but construction workers.  This the THIRD time I've seen the same situation.  I called the OFVC to report the situation.  I've got an appointment to speak with a senior Park official on Tuesday morning on this issue.  Will keep you apprised.  We have more snow predicted for tomorrow, so will not go in again until Monday.