[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin, 4/18/09

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 19:49:38 PDT 2009

I was only out in the basin for a few hours today, after lunch.

When I got to the Sawmill group, it was recovering from a deep drain, and Uncertain was gurgling, so I decided to hang out there for a while.  Off in the distance, I saw Oblong at 1137.  At 1143, Tardy started, and Uncertain stopped gurgling, so after a few minutes, I decided to head to the hill.

As I was coming up the rise by Lion, I saw Plume at 1202.  Since Aurum had been called at 911 this morning, I decided to hang out in that general area.  Doublet was doing some nice thumps today.  Mountain bluebirds were flying about, with their unbelievably bright plumage.  A coyote wandered around by the treeline, and took a nap, in the sunshine at the base of a pine.  Plume erupted again at 1313.  Aurum erupted at 1351, so a longer interval than yesterday.

I wandered down to Beehive, where Kristine and Polly were hanging out.  The back bubbler wasn't even on, so after watching another Plume at 1430, I headed to the Visitor Center, and then home.

The slush is melting out fairly quickly with the warm weather lately.

Karen Low