[Geysers] An Interesting Opening Day

Bill Warnock billwarnock at wyellowstone.com
Fri Apr 17 18:16:43 PDT 2009

Drove into park about 9 am under gray skies with temperature at 32.  At end of Fountain Flats meadow, on the rise up to the Lower Geyser Basin, there were seven cars pulled over with people strolling around Leather Pool and venturing on to the boardwalk beyond.  I didn't stop, but the parking lot was unplowed and blocked by a Bear Management sign.  After having driven across the fascinating plain with the hill steaming ahead, but nowhere to stop, some had apparently turned around to see what they could see of this fascinating phenomenon.

Staff at OFVC said I should speak with Kerry Gunther, the Bear Management officer, about the closure of both Lower and Midway Geyser Basin parking lots.  I called and left message with not response so far.  I did call the Superintendent's office to report the situation at Lower Basin this morning, and Chris Lehnartz told me that the Lower Basin parking lot and bathroom facilities SHOULD BE open...though you can't go on the boardwalk.  I told her I wanted to see the 1983 EIS on which the basin closures have been based this year, and she confirmed that Mr. Gunther was the person to supply them to me.  She suggested I also ask him for the 1994 Bear Management Plan which revised some of the EIS decisions.  SO, I await the return call before taking further action.

Much less snow on walks than last year.  Sun gradually broke through and temps reached 52...lovely.  On geysers:

Castle 0024 (overnight)
Plume  1048  1214  1326
Daisy 1058  1318
Lion 1101  1229
Aurum 1102 (a nice dual with Lion)

Grotto turned on around 1400; Dwarves were active on and off

I left at 1430.  Beehive had splashed around quite a bit, but as of 1700 the OFVC had no report of eruption.  Polly, George and MA the other gazers about today.