[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin, 4/17/09, Opening Day!

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 17:51:26 PDT 2009

Lots of people around, and still lots of slush to slosh through.

Plume intervals are a bit inconsistent.  Visitor Center had times in the book of 926 and 1047 when I stopped by.  It was called at 1216.  I saw it at 1326, 1440, and 1538.

Lion had a series this morning, with the last of that series at 1229.  As I was headed out later, Lion erupted at 1744, presumably an initial.  Little Cub was active.

Daisy at 1318ie and 1538 (from calls, and steam)

Castle was predicted for 2:15 pm, and erupted at 1446.

Aurum was called at 1101, but had been written down at VC as 1102 vr.  I saw Aurum at 1456, from over by Beehive, which had been doing a bit of splashing.

Grand was predicted for 4pm, because it had been seen in the morning.  The data logger hadn't been working, but Butch Bach put a new battery in it. Grand erupted at 1723, T1C.  West Triplet started at 1731.

Tardy was in control of the Sawmill group.  Churn had so much water in it that it was using 2 runoff channels, but didn't erupt.  Bulger was active.

International visitation seems to be up, based on the accents I was hearing while waiting for Grand.

Karen Low