[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin, 4/06/09

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 19:43:13 PDT 2009

Hooray!  I found someone to go out in the basin with!  Actually, Kristi asked at breakfast if I wanted to go ski the basin after work.

While driving the truck around from one side of the location to the other, we caught Depression at 1254ie.  It was the first time I'd seen Depression erupt in ages!

There were absolutely no human tracks around.  When we were heading up to Geyser Hill, I noticed Little Squirt was active (1807ie).  We watched Old Faithful from by Scissors Spring and Depression Geyser at 1834.  So if you saw people with the webcam, it was us.

Tardy was on, and Sawmill had water down in the neck.  Percolator was on, and Turban was erupting when we got to Grand.  We waited for another Turban, and decided we should start heading back.  We were taking our time and looking at things, including the new red mudpot by the river upstream of the Castle Bridge, and chatting.  While at Castle, Kristi said "oh, look!"  Grand was erupting back behind us (1939 ie).

We caught Old Faithful again at 2000.  It was a short eruption, but we did have time to get a shot or two of it erupting with a beautiful lavender sky behind, and the moon overhead.  Plume erupted at 2002.

No sign of the grizzly, I didn't hear anything about him today; yesterday he was on a carcass in the meadow by the overpass.  The only mammals we saw were four cow elk (one with a radio collar) up on Geyser Hill.  Also saw, a bald eagle, canada geese, ravens, bluebirds, and heard off towards Solitary Geyser an owl hooting.

Karen Low

Karen Low