[Geysers] Mystery

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Tue Oct 7 06:35:02 PDT 2008

Scott is right. Southeast is completely wrong for this to have been Old
Faithful. Coffee Pot Hot Springs and Joseph's Coat Springs are more likely
as candidates in my opinion.

Even if the observers were looking southwest, it is unlikely that they
could see Old Faithful beyond the Central Plateau. I have looked in all
directions from this viewpoint dozens of times over the years and have
never seen anything that gave me the slightest idea that Old Faithful or
any of the basins on the Firehole could be seen from here.

Lee Whittlesey
Park Historian

                      SCOTT BRYAN
                      <tsbryan_380 at msn.com>              To:       Geyser Observation Reports <geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu>
                      Sent by:                           cc:       (bcc: Lee Whittlesey/YELL/NPS)
                      <geysers-bounces at lists.wall        Subject:  Re: [Geysers] Mystery
                      awalla.edu>

                      10/03/2008 07:49 AM MST
                      Please respond to Geyser
                      Observation Reports

Many things do not fit with this report. Looking southeast from Washburn
Hot Springs Overlook is most decidedly NOT looking toward Old Faithful,
which from there is many miles away over and beyond the Central Plateau.
Indeed, SE from that overlook would be looking across the canyon toward
such places as Josephs Coat, Coffee Pot, and etc. I find it extremely
difficult to believe that anything other than steam cloud(s) were seen --
steam clouds that can appear to come-and-go when there is even only a
slight breeze.

Without further explanation/description of the location -- are there
photos? -- I'd say steam east of the canyon is what was seen.

Scott Bryan