[Geysers] History of Yellowstone-Need Advice

Meg Justus megj at nwlink.com
Sat May 31 17:12:21 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm a lurker here, and I apologize for being a bit off topic.  I am taking a US History Class, and I have to write a short paper (3-4 Pages) on something that happened between 1900-1950.  Since I love Yellowstone, I want to write about it, but the actual establishment of the park doesn't fit that time frame.  I love thermal features and geysers, but I'm open to any Yellowstone topic.  When was the army post at Mammoth?  I was thinking I could write about that or the way early visitors were transported around the park and what they did.  Any ideas from this period would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Becky Kraegel
Woodstock, GA

You could write about the construction of the Old Faithful Inn and/or Canyon Hotel, the handing over policing of the park from the army to the park service, the introduction of automobiles, the railroad company stagecoach tours, the Wylie Way camps, or for something even lighter, the several stagecoach holdups in the early history of the park.

A few ideas from someone who's been researching park history for a far shorter time than others on this list.

I'm still grateful to Lee Whittlesey for pointing me in the direction of Aubrey Haines' two-volume history The Yellowstone Story.  If you can't find a topic to write on about the park in there, you won't find one.

Meg