[Geysers] Teapot Geyser

David Schwarz david.schwarz at gmail.com
Wed May 28 17:37:33 PDT 2008

   Teapot, as I've always understood it, is the feature on the mound just
toward Castle from Old Faithful, which is most closely viewable from near
the northern end of the inner Old Faithful boardwalk.  I'm 99 percent sure
that's what was visible in the foreground of the webcam erupting during
Grand, albeit cut off so that only the top few feet of the mound were
visible.

   Sprinkler is on the river bank below Castle, and while I think I've seen
the top of it sometimes on the webcam, I think it would have been to the
left of the frame while the camera was zoomed all the way in on Grand.
Anyway, the character of the eruption is unmistakably different.  Sprinkler
is a sharply angled jet.  What I watched during Grand consisted of small,
punctuated, vertical splashes that appeared to come from a water level well
below the surface.

   I tried to get screenshots, but apparently Windows screenshots can't
capture the video in Windows Media Player, and I didn't have a video capture
utility installed.

David Schwarz