[Geysers] Geyser report May 18

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun May 18 14:53:17 PDT 2008

I certainly start with Grotto-Giant. This might (maybe?) be what we've been
hoping for.

Yesterday, May 17, Grotto started at 1351. As of 2130, it was still going.
So were Bijou, etc.

Today Grotto was going strong at 0630. So were Bijou, etc. The question is:
Is this the same eruption as was going yesterday. It seems rather certain that
 it is, yet (for example) Variable Spring was only down around 3 inches at
0700.  Bijou and the depth charging in Mastiff were weaker than seen yesterday,
but  still quite strong.

Anyhow, as of 1300, Grotto showed no signs of weakening. If this was 23+
hours into a marathon, then why were Bijou (weak but still bursting) Catfish
(jetting), Mastiff (back vent jetting) and Giant (left-to-right jetting)still
active, even if only weakly? Well, whatever.

Fan and Mortar markers in place.

Riverside 1121ns.

Daisy 0643ie, 0847, 1055, and 1248.

Oblong 0842.

Grand 0228E and 1113 (V2/T1Q).

Castle was 0151E major and I wasn't around for this afternoon's  whatever.

No Lion seen today -- it had an apparent initial at 20xx last  evening.

Beehive was during the night. As I departed, it was actually starting to
have some decent splashes. Short intervals expected since...

Litlle Squirt was active yesterday, and off and on today. And...

Plume seems to have responded to that with intervals of 110/2, 111/2, 48,
and 49 minutes.

It is possible that something is going on at Excelsior. Really. About three
weeks ago, some local residents took a photo into the West Y Chamber/NPS that
appeared to show essentially zero runoff down Excelsior's channels. With
that,  Bill W and later I took a look there and all seemed normal. But today we
heard  that two different people have seen Excelsior have boiling surges not
less than  4 feet high. Hmmm.

Now back to work at my book... at best tomorrow, I won't be into the park
until late if at all.

favorites at AOL Food.