[Geysers] Steamboat Steam Phases

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Tue May 13 23:07:15 PDT 2008

Agree with Mike.

Steamboat's steam phase is so much bigger than anything else it's like a
different geological phenomena.  The violence of the early steam phase is
shattering.  One of the ones I saw was literally (LITERALLY) painful to my
ears.  And it pounded on my chest.  Beehive is very, very cool, but there is
simply no comparison.  A really phenomenally good Giantess steam phase - and
I haven't heard one of them since the mid-80s - is at least marginally
similar.  Mike was right - the first 20-30 minutes showed little diminishing
of power, but after about 30-40 minutes it was definitely lessened.

In August 78 Steamboat erupted about 8 AM.  I got there around 11, and
lowered the window at the intersection on the Grand Loop road.  Lots of
traffic, but the roar of Steamboat was huge and obvious.

Paul Strasser

  _____