[Geysers] Geyser report May 5

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon May 5 15:14:25 PDT 2008

Well, so the twin sub-adult griz decided to return to the UGB and
additionally a big adult showed up, too. So once again (as of this morning),  most of
the UGB was closed -- we could go as far as Castle and over to Sawmill,  and to
Geyser Hill -- but that was before the big guy was behind the Inn. So I  left
after Beehive and went to Norris.

In the UGB:

Plume intervals of 54, 53, and 54 minutes.

Beehive Indicator 0954, Beehive 1008, this giving and interval of 18h  21m.

I gather that the steam I saw from near Sawmill was Depression,  0710, as it
was not quite full at 0810.
Lion 0705 and 0823.

Aurum 0723.

No Castle since it was at 2247E last night.

Grand was 0409E and as Bill called as I drove past Black Sand, 1042.

Oblong last evening, after all those overflow episodes apparently managed
some sort of weak eruption that was ending at about 1900 -- thus, an interval
well in excess of 12 hours. We of course don't know what its state was
overnight, but it had a good eruption today at 0851ns.

Daisy 0852

I managed to get a down-basin peek and at 0715 could see that Bijou was on,
Mastiff was depth-charging, and both Grotto Fountain and Grotto were ie.
-------------
Norris

I went up there specifically in hopes of seeing Forgotten Fumarole, and I
wasn't disappointed. The eruption were not large -- some jets might have reached
 12-15 feet but most were very much smaller (photo attached), but it was
active.  Intervals were in the range of 12 to 15 minutes, durations 20 to 30
seconds.

Beyond that, I saw little. Rocco (he was there on my arrival) noted that
Monarch has been undergoing some minor intermittent action, and later ranger
Rick Lee said the same thing. For me, it bubbled.

Vixen has been seen to erupt. For me it bubbled. Pearl bubbled. Porkchop
bubbled. Echinus bubbled. Need I go on? Steamboat was jetting some, but at the
bottom of the hill the runoff was a tiny trickle.

Porcelain Basin bubbled, too. The only geyser of significance I saw was
(presumably) Arsenic, playing perhaps 6 feet high.

A REQUEST -- Today when talking to the ranger at Norris, he commented about
the current apparently-minor stuff at Monarch. I commented about the activity
of  a few years ago -- I was thinking 2000 but I guess it was actually 1994.
Anyhow,  I have few details, but I'll bet somebody else does. I appreciate a
bit of a  narrative, and I know the people at Norris would, too, as they were
totally  unaware of any such action and on guided walks tell people that it has
been  dormant since 1913. Thanks.

favorites at AOL Food.