[Geysers] Geyser report May 1

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri May 2 05:08:55 PDT 2008

I write this on May 2 -- sorry, somehow I just didn't get around to this
yesterday, but now I'll be able to include a couple of lists.

The weather continues to be cruddy. May 1 was cold (up to 36 or so at 1400)
and very windy; at least it was dry. Today is overcast and snow flurries are
forecast. Winter just can't seem to let go.

I want to say that my belief is that the "Geyser Hill Wave" is working very
well, producing quite regular variations in the intervals of Beehive and
Plume,  at least, along with corresponding action by Little Squirt.

On May 1

Little Squirt was not active.

I only caught scattered Plumes, with intervals of 63 and 61 minutes.

Beehive was 0539wc. Two times now I've seen Beehive start splashing just
about 6 hours after a known eruption. Since park opening, here is the known
record for Beehive, presented as date -- time -- interval -- Indicator
4/18 -- 1143 -- xxx -- >11
4/19 -- ~0300 -- 15 1/2 h -- xx (estimated eruption time based on first
observed splashing)
4/20 -- 0746ie -- ~29 h -- xx
4/21 none observed
4/22 -- 1436 -- xxx -- =16
4/23 -- ~0400 -- ~14h -- xx (estimated time) Little Squirt active
4/24 none observed?
4/25 -- 1249 -- xxx -- >3
4/26 -- 1253 -- 24h 04m -- =15
4/27 -- 1047ns -- 21h 54m -- =13 Little Squirt active
4/28 -- 1418 -- 27h 31m -- =0 (no observed Indicator)
4/29 -- 0641 -- 16h 23m -- >4 Little Squirt active ??
4/29 -- 1704 -- 10h 23m -- >6
4/30 -- 0957 -- 16h 53m -- xx
5/1 -- 0539wc -- 19h 42m -- xx
Of course, the estimated times could be well in error, but I must say that
I'll be surprised if those intervals like 29 and 27 hours (maybe even 21h)
don't turn out to be double intervals. Any additions or corrections to the above
will be welcome.

Continuing with May 1:

Lion 1039 ini, 1205, 1314, ...

Aurum 0646 and 1144. I'm at least 95% certain that this is a single, closed
interval.

Castle was 2344E (on 4/30) and 1249 major

I don't know what was up with the Sawmill Complex -- I did not  see
_anything_ except Old Tardy erupt all day between 0800 and 1330.  At about 1000, there
was a deep drain in Churn, Spasmodic and Oval, but Twilight  was full and
overflowing. Maybe there's been some effect similar to West  Triplet-Rift
(???????), in that the water in Oval (when visible) has the same  sort of yellow-brown
color.

West Triplet Intermittent Spring actually does have weak eruptions at times
(splashes up to maybe 2 feet along with a lot of thumping), but mostly it is
intermittently overflowing its yellow-brown water. It seems very clear (snow
in  the runoff, etc.) that Rift has not erupted during this time (which, you'll
 recall, started sometime when the trail was closed).

Grand 0322E and 1049ie. Sorry -- Bronco and I were down looking at F&M
(markers in place) when Grand started and Steve was at Fountain (no other gazers
present), so no details.

Oblong 0941ie

Daisy 1253ie

Grotto Fountain 1030, Grotto 1041. Grotto was still ie as of 1300.

Courtesy of Steve Eide, here's some Fountain stuff (duration in  minutes)
4/29 1302 (30) and 1831 (31)
4/30 1202 and 1725 (31)
5/1 1107 (30)

Due to the ridiculous wind, I left after the Castle.

favorites at AOL Food.