[Geysers] Final preparations

drforr at pobox.com drforr at pobox.com
Fri Jun 27 12:01:02 PDT 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 00:03:51 -0600, Karen Webb <caros at xmission.com> wrote:
> We're headed up there Sunday and wondered if someone could please tell us
>     1) Are the bugs good, bad, or indifferent? Seems like the wet spring
> would mean bad but the cold spring would mean good.
>     2) We're having our first experiences with cell phones and are
> wondering what sort of coverage there is in the park if we need ours for
> emergencies. We're with T-mobile.

Based on my experience on Verizon, you'll be fine within a mile or two of
Old Faithful, and a few miles from West Yellowstone. That's about it. From
what I understand the towers are at Old Faithful, Mammoth and West
Yellowstone, possibly one in the Canyon area. I've only ever been able to
use the tower at Old Faithful, although this year I did get a low-power
signal in the Hayden Valley in one particular turnout, which I have to
assume was a fluke of the highest order.

You'll be using analog roam, which drains more power than the digital
service you're probably used to, so keep your phone charger plugged in.