[Geysers] Response to dating geyser water

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Jun 26 15:53:20 PDT 2008

Back about a month ago, we learned of the publication of a paper titled
"Climate-induced variations of geyser periodicity in Yellowstone National Park,
USA", authored by Hurwitz, Kumar, Taylor and Heasler. The appearance of that
paper, and discussions resulting from that, read (in essence): "How do they
date  geyser water, and where did the figure of '500 years' come from."

Via Ralph Taylor, co-author Hurwitz provided an answer, namely: "  In short
answer to...[the] question ... 'OF's water supply is about 500 years  old' -- I
don't know how that info came about."

Well... since my book(s) would seem to be one source of the "500  years"
statement, a huge exclamation point could be part of my answer  to Hurwitz. I have
held this response for my return to my full library here in  Arizona.

In my short answer, check USGS publications by such rather well-known
authorities as Truesdell, Fournier, Christensen, and White.

A primary source, which I cite here, is:
Rye, R. O. and Truesdell, A. H., 1993, The question of recharge to the
geysers and hot springs of Yellowstone National Park, USGS Open-File Report  93-384.

I acknowledge first that a complete lack of detectable tritium in  water
shows only that it is "older" than 60 years. (Well, the paper in question  here
seems to say 50 years while all these other USGS things say 60 -- but  what's
20% or so when the authors admit they "enhance the signal-to-noise ratio"  by
"filtering [to eliminate] 15% of the [Old Faithful] intervals from the data
set" -- as several people versed in math and statistics, as well as geysers,
said upon seeing that: "WHAT!?!?!")

Sorry, I digress... In the Rye and Truesdell article are the following  items
(as samples):

-- the deep reservoir residence time of most of the thermal water "should"
be less than 1900 years

-- the discharge from the deep reservoir is [approximately] 7.5 X 10^10
kg/yr, and per the chloride inventory the residence time is between 370 and 1900
years.

-- the above is consistent with water-rock reactions AND with a recoil  model
for radium isotope supply that yields a maximum of 1150 years. {NOTE: It  is
in another paper that unfortunately I am unable to locate at the moment in
which Friedman states that this value is a "best guess figure" for recharge
rate.}

-- However, the above authors note that, if the deep reservoir is
replenished from multiple sources, then the oldest deep geothermal component(s)  could
well be as "old" as 10,000 years.

-- Finally, the authors hypothesize that there could well have been a major
influx of water to the geothermal system during the "Little Ice Age" of the
15th  century -- that is, at a time somewhat more than... errr... 500 years  ago.

I will also point out to the authors that they apparently missed one
reference to the matter of surface water influences, supporting my initial  reaction
to the article of : "Duh." This is:
Marler, G. D., 1964, Seasonal changes in ground water in relation to hot
spring activity; Am. Jour. Sci, v.262, May 1964, p.674-685.

Enjoy.

T. Scott Bryan