[Geysers] Dating geyser water

Ralph Taylor ralpht at fuse.net
Thu Jun 5 11:34:30 PDT 2008

Lucille Reilly asked about the dating of geyser water in response to a post
noting the publication of a paper by Shaul Hurwitz on the relationship of
geyser periodicity and river levels.  I decided to ask Shaul for his input,
and he kindly responded with the following explanation.  The discussion is
technical but may answer some of the questions (and probably raise more
questions).

Ralph Taylor

Shaul's response:

Dating water is tricky, particularly in geysers where waters are boiling.
One method scientists use to date water involves measuring the
concentration of tritium (3H), which is a short-lived radioactive isotope
of hydrogen with a half-life of 12.32 years.  Some tritium forms naturally
as cosmic radiation interacts with the upper atmosphere, but during the
1950s and early 1960s, testing of nuclear weapons raised atmospheric
concentrations hundreds of times above the normal background
concentration.  Tritium concentrations in the atmosphere have decreased
following the signing of the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty in the early 1960s
and have since approached natural levels.

By measuring tritium concentrations in spring (or geyser) waters, what is
actually being dated is the last interaction between a water molecule and
the atmosphere.   However, when precipitation (with a known tritium
concentration) enters the subsurface (groundwater) system, mixing of the
water molecules occurs, so that at any given location along the flow path
from recharge to a geyser, a finite volume of water would represent  some
integration of water molecules from many years.  It is not realistic to
assume that the entire volume erupting from a geyser percolated into the
subsurface at the same time.  More likely, the erupted volume is a mixture
of water molecules that fell as precipitation over a rather long time
period.  To illustrate this point of mixing my USGS colleague (emeritus)
Bob Fournier reported in a 1969 paper in the journal Science that more
than 24 consecutive eruptions were required to clear Old Faithful of a
tracer (rhodamine B) in a 1963 experiment.

Nevertheless, some inferences can be made by using tritium.  For example,
this year's precipitation in Yellowstone has a concentration of 10 Tritium
Units.  (One tritium unit equals 1 tritium atom in 1018 hydrogen atoms).
If for example the tritium concentration of a geyser is 5 TU, we calculate
that the water could represent a 50:50 mixture of this year's
precipitation and pre-bomb (more than 50-year-old) precipitation (0 TU).
However, this is not a unique solution, both because of subsurface mixing
and the time-variance of the tritium input.  (The most straightforward
interpretation of tritium occurs when its concentration is 0 TU, and we
can confidently infer that none of the water has interacted with the
atmosphere for 50 years.)

 In the past year, our group at the USGS, in collaboration with the
National Park Service, has sampled the waters of five geysers (Old
Faithful, Daisy, Grand, Oblong, and Aurum) six times.  We are still in the
process of analyzing the data, but so far we have found some detectable
tritium in all five geysers (though always less than 1 TU).  This implies
that some recent water molecules are part of the total volume erupted.

Other methods used by scientists for dating "young" water include
measuring the concentrations of chloro-fluorocarbons (CFCs) and noble-gas
(mainly argon) isotopes dissolved in water.  As with tritium, the data
require considerable interpretation.  "Older" waters are often dated using
radiocarbon methods, but this is problematic in volcanic areas such as
Yellowstone because of the input of magmatic carbon.

The short answer to Lucille Reilly's question following what she heard
during a geyser walk "OF's water supply is about 500 years old" - I don't
know how that info came about....

I hope the discussion group finds this helpful and not confusing!

P.S.  There was some more press coverage of the geyser paper; here are two
of them:

LiveScience.com -
http://www.livescience.com/environment/080603-old-faithful.html

Casper Star Tribune -