[Geysers] Geyser report Wed June 4

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Jun 4 14:06:06 PDT 2008

First a brief bit of the mundane:

Pink Cone 0633ie.

0730 and beyond Dome active
0733ns Beehive's Indicator, 0746 Beehive
0734 Plume
0755ns steam Oblong

1010ie enroute on a brief trip from Great Fountain to OF, one of the  geysers
across the river from Flood, beyond West Flood was erupting to at least  20
feet high.
1012ie Till

1145ns steam cloud Fountain

Now the narrative, entitled:
I KNEW SOMETHING WAS GOING ON, or HOW GREAT FOUNTAIN STARTED WILD  PHASE
(thanks to Vickie and Alan, and Bill and Carol for some of the  following)

I will look forward to seeing the electronic download for Great Fountain  for
the last couple of days. As I noted yesterday, the action by Great Fountain
was somewhat puzzling, what with an unquestionable "false overflow" at 0605,
followed by an up-and-down pool all day to finally end with an eruption at
1646.  I honestly anticipate that to have been an interval of over 25 1/2 hours.

Today, Bill and Carol saw Great Fountain at 0612ie. I saw it at 0714ie.  They
saw it some more and left after a 30-foot burst at 0759. My, that's a long
eruption.

After breakfast at the store and intending only to go to the Pink Cone area
(though Pink Cone had already gone, it was raining hard at Old Faithful and
actually tried to turn ot snow as I drove through Midway), at about 0920 I
found  Great Fountain in overflow. Yes! Full boiling overflow. Heavens! Please
note: a  full pool less than 1 1/2 hours after eruptioon had been seen.

Moments after I parked, it boiled to probably at least 2 meters. Yes.

So I walked down the boardwalk. Vigorous boiling continued and at 0934 it
started to erupt. At first it was massive surging to 20 feet or so. Then what I
will call a true superburst -- at least 180 feet and beyond the road. What in
 the world...? Ah, yes, unquestionably the start of wild phase.

Thus it started. That first burst lasted about 11 minutes. It was followed
by the following (including the above):
start-end (estimated height)
0925 (2+ meter boil)
0934-0945 (180 superburst)
0949-0953 (50)
0959-1006 (50)
1007- I departed, knowing now that this had to be wild phase -- back at OF,
I called the VC, then returned to Great Fountain
----
1041-1048 (30)
1056-1102 (50)
1111-1118 (>100 easily)
1125-1132 (80)
1139-1145 (blue bubble[!] but only 40 feet)
1153-1159 (60)
1207-1213 (>100 and sharply angled with some spray onto the  road)
1221-1227 (70)
1235-1242 (40)
1250-1256 (50)
departure

Those heights are estimates, but I've seen many a normal eruption that
failed to match many of these bursts.

Relationships: Though I wasn't watching real closely, the activity by
Botryoidal, A-0, and Logbridge seemed perfectly normal. However, in the other
direction there were eruptions by White Dome at 1039 and 1210 and no more as I
departed a bit after 1300 -- I know I did not miss an eruption during any of
that time.

And to think that I almost didn't go in today because of the rain.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.