[Geysers] Memorial Day Trip Report - Norris

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 2 22:34:40 PDT 2008

> Forgotten Fumarole was active.  Tara saw a number of eruptions.  Eruptions
> occurred about every few minutes (Tara's in Denver and I can't remember the
> intervals she got but I think they were in the 5-10 minute range.)  The
> height and strength was quite variable with eruptions of very black muddy
> water from a few feet to about 12 feet.

I spent about 90 minutes watching Forgotten Fumarole on May 25.  I don't have my notebook available at the moment, but the intervals were all within the 12-14 minute range.  Eruptions were mostly in the 5-8 foot range with a few higher bursts, maximum 10-12 feet.  It seemed that the stronger eruptions came after the longer intervals.  The eruptions lasted about 2 minutes and would sometimes have short pauses.  No water actually welled up in the vent, and none was expelled outside the immediate crater.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com