[Geysers] Fissure Group Report

geyser1 at netzero.net geyser1 at netzero.net
Wed Jul 23 19:15:10 PDT 2008

First, sorry about this report being somewhat late.  Just too many other things going on...
Steven and I hiked out to the Fissure Group on 7/2/08.  The hike was difficult because the mosquitoes were absolutely horrible, even though we were covered in repellent.  The "skeeters" were so bad we couldn't stop to rest, so we we did the entire hike to the ridge top overlooking Witch Creek without stopping.  Fortunately, the skeeters and other bugs were much less bothersome while at the geysers.  Also during the hike in, we had to cross flowing water in normally dry drainages at several locations (first time ever), and EVERY depression contained standing water; hence the large "skeeter" population.
The following geysers were seen at Fissure Group.
P68, P70 -- both behaving as weak perpetual spouters.  None of the other Fissure Springs showed signs of being active, except the crack where water constantly issues.
Hooded Spring - perpetual spouter per its normal behavior.
Splurger Geyser - never shut off while we were in the area (5 1/2 hours).  Nice play.
P116 - surprizingly, like Splurger it never quit erupting.
P51 - barely overflowed.  No sign of eruptions.
P52 - looked dormant, no overflow and no sign of eruptions.
Shell Geyser - eruptions much stronger than last year -- so behaving normally now.
P138 and P126 - inactive as usual.
Glade Geyser - looks active, but unfortunately we did not see it erupt.
Pit Geyser (P35) - erupted at 5-6 minute intervals.
P36 - splashes down in the deep crater as it usuall does.
I'm not totally sure of their IDs, but these small geysers had small periodic splashes: P3, P7. There were a couple of other small spouters as well.
-- Will Moats