[Geysers] Seismic Activity

Randall Marrett marrett at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 30 22:02:49 PST 2008

I'm not a seismologist and I don't know specific details about this
swarm, but....

The most common earthquake swarm follows on the heels of a larger
earthquake, in the form of aftershocks.  Swarms without a main shock
commonly occur in areas of active volcanism, and are thought to be a
consequence of magma movement.  The movement can be sudden flow of
magma into a crack, resulting in a dike.  The magma movement
alternatively can induce indirect deformation of rock surrounding a
larger magma body, such as a magma chamber.  With large enough quakes
from dike inflation, the interpretation can be corroborated by focal
mechanisms (the pattern of seismic energy radiation is different for
shear motion along a fault vs opening motion along a dike).

No doubt, Bob Smith of Univ Utah could provide more authoritative
answers.  He's a seismologist, and has been working on Yellowstone
for decades.

http://www.seis.utah.edu/EQCENTER/PRESS/yell_press.htm#12292008

--

Randall Marrett