[Geysers] Seismic Activity

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 17:49:53 PST 2008

Well, I've looked at the map of where the quakes are (from usgs.neic.gov), and compared it to Dr. Lisa Morgan's maps of the Lake bottom that are part of USGS report 1717.  There is a thermal area marked where this swarm is happening.  The quakes seem to be mostly shallow.

I've talked with the interp at Grant who has felt them, and heard from people at Lake that have felt them.

At a guess (and remember I only have a BSc in Geology) it is probably hot briny fluid movement.  Dr. Bob Smith said at a lecture I attended that that is what causes most quakes here in the park.

I still haven't felt any quakes in the park in 2008, but I felt 5 in the park in 2007.

Karen Low