[Geysers] Mountain Bikes on Nat'l Park trails

Washington washpark at xmission.com
Sun Dec 21 08:05:08 PST 2008

We mountain bike all of the time in the mountains and have spent 16
years in Yellowstone (and I grew up in Livingston).

1   We have hiked in Yellowstone for all 16 years and once off the road
by about 3 blocks, hikers are very few and far between.  We bike the
mountains of Utah all of the time and liability has never been an
issue.  It's only a bad mix in the "main" areas where there are many
walkers - the trail between the Inn and Morning Glory Pool comes to
mind, not the backcountry.

2   There will always be a few idiot hikers who bushwack wherever they
want, too, and Andy and I have seen them.

3   Bikes do carve ruts but usually only in the spring or sometimes
after a major rainstorm.  Most mountain bikers are pretty responsible
now and understand that and don't use the trails at that time.  And bear
bells can be attached to bicycles just like many of us use some sort of
horn to warn of our approach.

4   Mountain bikers volunteer many, many hours repairing trails all over
the nation.

5   In the big scheme of things, there won't be very many people who
bring mountain bikes with them on vacation.

6   It would be wonderful to access more of Yellowstone one bikes.  And,
this rule isn't specifically for just Yellowstone but for other parks, too.

Jane Washington