[Geysers] Mountain Bikes on Nat'l Park trails

Jeff Cross Jeff.Cross at wallawalla.edu
Sat Dec 20 19:04:20 PST 2008

Mountain bikes do not belong in Yellowstone's backcountry.  With the exception of old roads that have been designated as trails, I see many opportunities for thoughtless actions to result in the destruction of resources, as well as the overcrowding of backcountry geyser basins with bike enthusiasts who aren't there to appreciate the geysers, peace and quiet, nature, or anything else that Park visitors might value.

I still vividly remember being out at Lone Star and seeing an adolescent male using the cone of Sputtering Mound geyser for a bike jump...

This is a really bad idea.  I hope it never happens.

Jeff Cross
jeff.cross at wallawalla.edu