[Geysers] Re: Geyser Basin Maps

carolyn loren caroloren98 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 12:50:40 PST 2008

Thank you for that idea.  Just so everyone knows, the work that's been done has been on an as-time-allows, sometimes volunteer basis.  I also apologize for sending them out without checking them first; I've been busy with family things during the break.  I'll now read through the comments and send them on, considering the other maps could be the preferred alternative.

Carolyn Loren

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:18:17 -0800From: gosastore at roadrunner.comTo: TSBryan at aol.comCC: caroloren98 at hotmail.com; geysers at lists.wallawalla.eduSubject: [Geysers] Re: Geyser Basin MapsThe "Sput" insert no longer mentions these maps due to lack of sufficient space to describe them adequately.  The insert mentions the GOSA Store website having many more items than can be shown in print.  Coincidentally I scanned all of those maps plus USGS Geologic Investigative Series Maps of Upper (I-1371) & Lower (I-1373) Basins on Friday.  All of them are available as paper copies on the GOSA Store pages and now also in digital form - on a CD-ROM in both jpg and pdf formats.  Considering that GOSA paid to scan them (not a big sum) I was hoping that a few folks would be interested in purchasing them in order to recover costs.  I asked the GOSA Board of Directors what, if anything else, GOSA might wish to do with them.  I proposed an option to upload them either as-is or in reduced resolution versions to the GOSA website for free downloading.  File sizes are not huge (unlike the 1904 Hague Atlas scans) so I think that server space and downloading would not be big issues.  Don Might, our webmaster and donator of the website, has not yet responded as to feasibility of all this.  Nor has the Board responded to my proposal so far.  But I realize everyone is probably busy with the upcoming holiday season.I agree the GIS / GPS mapping efforts recently displayed here need help, so I will take it upon myself to provide a CD to Carolyn free of charge.  It will be mailed tomorrow.BTW, the Store's pages show thumbnails of these maps.  Not great images but you get an idea of what they are about.Happy Holidays or Bah, Humbug - your preference!UdoTSBryan at aol.com wrote:

Udo -- see last paragraph please.

OK, I'll be a real curmudgeon. My honest opinion is, that unless a lot (read A LOT) of reworking of these new maps is done, then they should not be used. Considering here only the UGB South map, some examples (only a few of the possibilities) of the errors:

-- Where is Sawmill Geyser? The name is closer to a mystery red dot than it is to the red dot that presumably represents Sawmill. And I call that a "mystery red dot" because I'll contend that there is no spring (at least not one of any significance) at that location.
-- And in that area, what happened to Scalloped? South Scalloped? the Terra Cotta complex?

-- The trail(s) as shown are quite inaccurate. Like the jogs next to Sulphide and North Goggles (which is, by the way, North GoggleS). Gee, I wonder where Little Squirt is; right next to Beehive, apparently.

-- At Belgian Pool, the trail appears to go across a spring or two, where interestingly there are four seemingly-unidentified dots.

Little hardly-ever-noticed Lavender Pool (which is actually Lavender Spring, not Pool) is identified, fer cryin' out loud, but Beauty pool is not identified.

-- Indeed, there isn't even a red dot anywhere between Vent Geyser and unidentified Beauty Pool.

I quit at that. The maps need a whole lot of work.

Now, how's this for curmudgeonly -- the USGS produced a whole series of accurate (surveyed) thermal maps. Once upon a time there were two or three complete sets in the OFVC prep room. I have a personal set given to me by Dr. D. E. White. GOSA makes copies of my set available (well, I think GOSA does so -- I see that they are not listed in the Store's insert in the December 2008 Sput -- Udo comment?). They are accurate (frankly, I believe in at least some cases more accurate that the more recent GPS efforts) and could be updated with great ease. AND THEY ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE!!! [Oh, yeah -- people in the "Spatial Analysis Center" need work. (Sorry) ]

Scott Bryan

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.