[Geysers] Marler Inventory

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 19:11:47 PST 2008

The coordinates used in Marler's Inventory for locating thermal features
were devised by the USGS for their post-15 earthquake mapping in the 1960s and
early 1970s. the system consists of a grid of squares that measure 1000 feet
east-west and 1000 feet north-south. The northermost tier of these squares is
row "A", and these are numbered from west to east -- A1, A2, A3, etc.

The next tier to the south is (logically, I trust) B, then C, etc.

Within any one of these squares -- say for example H8, a thermal feature is
located by measuring eastward, then southward from the northwest corner of the
 square. So, Daisy Geyser is located in grid square H8, 280 feet east and 55
feet  south of the northwest corner of H8.

I do not know -- does anybody ? -- just why the apparent origins were  chosen
where they were, since for example the Upper Basin's A1 is way up on  the
plateau northwest of Biscuit Basin. I'm sure the USGS had established survey
points out there somewhere, but if any exist now, I don't know where they  are.

Anyhow, this was done for each of the geyser basins -- Upper, Midway,  Lower,
Norris, West Thumb, and Shoshone (they didn't do Heart Lake or Gibbon) --  as
well as Mud Volcano and Mammoth. These grids are shown on the Thermal Maps
just discussed on this list in the last couple of days.

Scott Bryan

In a message dated 12/15/2008 7:29:17 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,