[Geysers] Obscure Features at Norris

David Schwarz david.schwarz at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 18:41:54 PST 2008

   It's been a while since I've been there, but I think Amethyst Geyser was
one of the first springs encountered when visiting Hundred Springs Plain by
going over the hill near Ebony Geyser.  The feature I'm thinking of is in a
shallow alcove off to the right as you skirt the thermal area.  When I saw
it (in 1992 or 1993), this feature erupted in a continuous, bursting boil
several feet high, churning up and throwing out eerily pale violet sand.  It
was much weaker and possibly periodic the next time I passed by, a year
later, and I think I remember that it was dormant after that.  It's possible
that Amethyst was a different spring nearby, but I'm pretty sure it was in
that area.

   No idea about any of the others.

David Schwarz