[Geysers] Cellular data service in YNP

Jan and Lew janet.johns5 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 26 08:48:34 PDT 2008

We had an Alltel phone with a data cable that we used last summer with our laptop computer.  It was very slow (less than dial-up)particularily when the cell phones seemed to be heavily used.  Early morning was the best time.  There are two towers at OF.  The "A" tower is owned by Alltel.  The "B" tower is owned by the phone company in Jackson.  Agreements with cell phone companies literally change each year.  We've used AT&T and Verizon cell phones and some years they roam and some years they do not.  Neither of the towers are  fast EVDO or anything approaching.  Drops are common.  When I've inquired about the drops and particularily the year my daughter was hurt and could not reach us by our AT&T cell phone, we have been told by AT&T that the tower is outdated and unable to carry the load that occurs at OF so it frequently drops your tower registration. AT&T told us to restart our phone every two hours.  This lead to us purchasing a phone (in Bozeman) that matched the OF tower  (Alltel). Alltel told us that it would not drop its customers, instead it drops by priority those who purchase use of that tower (contracted yearly).  We had no issues with connection or dropping last year with our Alltel service while at OF.  The data cable always work just very slow.  Alltel became roaming on our Idaho land (Verizon tower) and would not work in Mammoth (Verizon).  We have switched again and now have Sprint.  Good luck in your quest.

Janet Johns (all of those who remember the hours I've spent calling cell phone companies can proceed to laugh)