[Geysers] Giant eruption photos

Janet Chapple jochapple at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 4 11:01:07 PDT 2008

To all fellow geyser lovers—

For the 2009 edition of my guidebook, “Yellowstone Treasures,” I am
announcing a low-keyed competition for the best two Giant Geyser
eruption photos taken between about August 2005 and the present. The
cut-off time will need to be May 31 of this year for reasons of
publishing deadlines. Due to having less than two months to collect
photos, I cannot place an announcement in the GOSA "Sput," so if you
know of members who might like to participate but do not belong to this
online list, please let them know about it. I know there are lots of
good shots taken by geyser enthusiasts, including, of course, Scott
Bryan, whose wonderful shot for the cover of his new edition was posted
here on March 25.

I’m looking for photos showing the geyser’s height and power, a little
of the cone, and perhaps some people for scale—Scott’s has all that and
contrasting blue sky besides. I would like to use one Giant photo as
the new frontispiece in my book and another with the geyser
description, to replace the old NPS shot I’ve been using (p. 92 in
edition two).

Since Granite Peak Publications is a tiny independent publisher (me),
compensation for this photo or photos will have to be modest. Besides,
it’s my principle not to buy photos from professional photographers
(unless they are GOSA members), since I want readers to feel they might
take pictures like they see in the book for themselves. A credit line
and complementary copy or two of the new book will be yours, if your
photo is chosen.

Please send any shots you think appropriate to me with the name of the
photographer, the date of the photo, and any other information you'd
like to include, off list to: janet at yellowstonetreasures.com. The
largest possible size will be 4 ½ inches wide by 7 inches tall; 400
pixels per inch would be best, but 300 ppi is probably acceptable. The
best format would be TIFF (file name ending with .tif). Send more than
one, if you wish. I’d like to limit the pictures I use to those taken
by listserve readers and GOSA members.

Thank you!

Janet