[Geysers] Mysterious snow shapes - snow rolls

Lisa R. Fisher lfisher at mines.edu
Tue Apr 1 20:26:02 PDT 2008

You are looking at "Snow Rolls". They are quite common in the
mountains, and can form in a variety of sizes. When I get a chance
I'll dig out some of my old slides with photos of some amazing ones
from the road by the Gros Ventre Slide, and some near my old home.
I've seen some that are fairly narrow (only a few inches) with a huge
diameter (>2' across), I've seen wide ones, small ones, etc. They are
not always hollow either - sometimes they have a nucleus of a "natural
snowball", other times they nucleate on rocks or other ground objects.
Sometimes they stand like wheels, other times they fall over.

They require a specific set of conditions to form. For what looks like
a good discussion of these, go to:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ilx/events/roller/roller.php

Lisa Fisher
--