[Geysers] Baker 's 2 weeks in Yellowstone

Lotus Baker lotusb3 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 27 09:01:07 PDT 2007

Hello to the list,
We left Yellowstone yesterday after the fastest 2 weeks ever!
Got there on the 12th and Giant had erupted before so we had time to look at other things.
Fountain on the 12th with Morning's thief start that was caught on camera, It was high and wide in the early pictures but soon hidden by stream but I did get a look at it later in the eruption so it must have lasted awhile.

13th in the upper basin, highlight was Steve Bezore, Norman Krahnand Lotus did an almost walk up on Artemisa at 12:30 while Keith waited for a Spa that didn't.

14th Good Hot period at Giant 9min24 sec, 7 minute Feather restart good vertical surging in the cone. Oblong and Daisy and One burst Grand to help keep us busy.

15th Grand, Daisies, 11 minute hot period with Turtle to 6 ", 3 Tilt's Baby at 15:25,16:46 and 18:03 and Giant in the night per calls from people getting wet in the dark. Bad Word!

16th We went to Norris and enjoyed Vixen. Corporal was doing some interesting filling of itself and 2 side holes. Pearl was flat and Veteran was just spitting. Congress Pool was 2/3 fill and pretty again. Coming out that was a fire at the intersection that had traffic confused.

17th Norman, Steve and Eric Hatfield joined us for a hike into Rabbit Creek where the only thing erupting was Rabbit Geyser, but the soups where looking good.

18th seems to have been a blur because Keith has only a couple of Lions in the morning and a Grand in the evening in his notes. Ah, we must have escaped the Basin to see the rest of the park!

19th Steve took us into see Pocket Basin geyser which erupted for us at 12:00 and then not again! We looked at the Mud pots and met some researchers looking for viruses in one of the springs near Pocket. We also got Log Bridges 15:44,16:21and 16:59 and a Great Fountain at 17:36 which was more of a great flounder!

20th We got the Beehive call and did the dash to see it for the first time of the trip at 13:50. It must have been another day of hoping for Giant as we have Daisies and a one burst Grand at 15:38.  That evening was cold but we waited for Grand or at least Lotus stayed and it was a grand start 2 burst and no turban or vent after!! I learned to call that a G2Q. My first 2 burst on the trip and it was mine and a few other hearty souls.

21st Fan and Mortar at 9:11 and the great  bike ride to see it shooting water. Another 10 minute hot period Mastiff to 4 '. We caught a nice Riverside 18:18 with Lovely rainbows and then treated ourselves to Dinner at the Snow Lodge for our 33 anniversary.

22nd  another Day of waiting for that one! Kitt made her Dash to the park and we saw lots of Obies and other stuff
 6 Tilt's babies :
10:39,low height  24 sec growl 12:02 high height  no growl heard because of Castle erupting
13:27 low 26 sec growl, 14:48 ? height 23 growl, 15:53 high and 26 sec growl  16:59 high and 26 sec growl
Oh and That  One erupted sometime in the night.

23rd Rainy day  but Dome was erupting and so Norman and us looked at Little Squirt, Bronze and Silver  springs doing ups and downs. Wandered around looking at Depression which didn't erupt and Lion and getting wet with periods of sun. Riverside at 16:43, then at 16:47 Grotto Fountain erupted 31 minutes before Grotto started at 17:18 for Keith but in the meantime I had wandered up to Grand to see it. Sat down and then watched Grand come up from it's pool with no Turban 17:06 I couldn't  find my radio or check the time at the same time so just the radio and an excited call, Turban just gave a small burst and Vent and Grand made the show, Second burst and wow! G2Q again!

24th Animal Day with a trip to Lamar and over Dunraven, one Grizzly and one black Bear and lots of deer, bison and antelope.

25th Hike into Sentinel Meadows with Norman to get a walk up on Iron Pot, explored the cones and got wet. Back out to see Mound Geyser. Drive up on Pink Cone for an evening sun photo opt.

26th Last Day, out to West Thumb, it is dry! Lone Pine had water but we had not time!  Teton's have beautiful color in the aspens!

Back to the real world after a stop at the Grand Canyon and a place or two besides.
See you  next year in the Park!
Lotus and Keith
lotusb3 at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.