[Geysers] Giant today - Oct. 22

Jason Tibbetts tibbs59 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 18:59:06 PDT 2007

Hello all!!  finally after hanging out at giant the last few days, i was finally able to see it errupt.  i came back from giant this morning about 1115 for lunch.  when i got over to the parking lot at the lower store, i noticed a huge steam cloud in the area of giant.  so i made my way out to it slipping and sliding on the icey boardwalks   once i got past grand i could see for sure it was indeed giant.  on my way there i ran into the folks who said they saw it start at 1215 or so.  once i got there it was still going quite strong.  i finally left giant at about 1345 or so.  it was mostly steam by that time but some water was still coming from the cone.  for a somewhat cold day, the eruption was still very easy to see.  after leaving giant, i made my way down to fan and mortar since they had not yet erupted.  and as of 1730 still had not.  some of the vents were kicking up water off and on but nothing very close to a lock.  while waiting on f & m, i went over to check on
 riverside.  not sure of the time but it was in overflow.  an hour or so after getting down there, riverside did erupt.  the sun peaked out for a short time a rainbow was visible.
  so now that giant has erupted this week, the wait for f & m continues.  since ill be workin here at the snowlodge for the next few days, ill continue to go down and check on fan and mortar.
  just wanna say thanks to all the gazers ive met this summer while working here in the park.  you guys have been very helpful helping me learn to understand geysers much better.  its much more fun watching them when you kind of know what to look for.  hope to continue gazing often and always this winter and probably beyond that.
  Jason Tibbetts(Mammoth hot springs/Old Faithful Snowlodge Linen Truck Driver)

http://mail.yahoo.com