[Geysers] Thermal Inventory on Line

Karen Webb minissa2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 17:29:27 PST 2007

Nope, not Bead (the one labeled as Bead actually looks
like one of the
little pools by the road after you've passed Steady
Geyser). Bead's
formation as viewed from above is very similar to the
picture of Pink,
though without the pink coloration (also, the build-up
of sinter on
either side of the vent is more pronounced). Got to
see the whole group
from the roof of a passing RV one year thanks to some
cooperative tourists!
Karen

Lynn Stephens wrote:
> Ann Rodman,
>     Your name was given to me as a contact person
for the Yellowstone's Thermal Inventory, which has
been made available on-line.  The on-line inventory
will be an invaluable research tool.
>     I am a thermal volunteer in Yellowstone.  My
first season as a volunteer for Rick Hutchinson was
1988.  Many of my observations have been made in the
Lower Geyser Basin.   I have not perused the Inventory
in its entirety, but I have noticed one geyser that
was misplaced in the wrong area and some pictures that
are misidentified.  The items I have focused on are
located in the Lower Geyser Basin:

> In the White Creek Group
>
>     Dilemma Geyser--The feature given the informal
name "Dilemma Geyser" is located in the Pink Cone
Group, not in the White Creek Group.

> In the White Dome Group--
>
> Crack Geyser--The photo labeled "Crack" is a photo
of Gemini Geyser.
>      Also, the description "8/05/1998 shelf looking
spring" does not match either the picture of the
feature Crack Geyser.  Crack erupts from a north-south
trending fracture in the surrounding sinter platform.

> Gemini Geyser--The photo labeled "Gemini" is a photo
of Cave Spring.

> In the Pink Cone Group:
>
> A0 is located in the White Creek Group, not in the
Pink Cone Group.

> Bead Geyser -- I am 99% certain that this pool is
not Bead Geyser.  Bead erupts from a sinter basin
rather than a pool.

> Thank you for your help in getting these items
changed.

--
Step out of Thy holy chamber, O Maid of Heaven...
Drape thyself...in the silken