[Geysers] Earthquake at Old Faithful

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 17:48:18 PST 2007

The earthquake was a 3.0 M, over at Big Thumb Creek, at a depth of 2.7 miles.  And yes, I checked my bedside clock (which had read 10:46 last night) and it is two minutes fast compared to my watch which is syncronized with the Visitor Center.

  Many other people here at Old Faithful felt this quake, and I've been suggesting they fill out the online felt report.

  Here is the link for more information:  http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/uu11050544.php

  It is possible that this tremor was large enough to change behavior of some features, and I may try to get over to West Thumb Geyser Basin on my next day off, if weather allows.

  Karen Low

Karen Low <yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com> wrote:
    At 10:46 pm, I was in my Larkspur dorm room (in the Old Faithful Government Area), and felt a jolt.  It wasn't quite as strong as the largest of the three earthquakes I felt here at Faithful back in February, but it was definitely an earthquake.

  It isn't showing up on the neic.usgs.gov site yet, and likely won't until morning.

  Here is the link to the helicorder display:  http://www.seis.utah.edu/helicorder/heli/yellowstone/Uuss.YFT_SHZ_WY.2007110400.gif

  Karen Low

http://mail.yahoo.com