[Geysers] Brief belated geyser report, Oct 31-Nov 1

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 5 03:37:43 PST 2007

A few notes from the geyser basin, October 31 and November 1, 2007.

Little Squirt was seen splashing on the afternoon of the 31st, but not erupting.

Plume seemed to have a pattern of shortening intervals througout the day on the 31st, starting at over 70 minutes and returning to the normal 50-55 minutes by dusk.  Intervals appeard to be normal again on the 1st.

Beehive erupted at 1330 on the 1st.  I didn't catch when the Indicator started but it did have one.

The grass that had been matted down near Scissors was starting to stand up again, so I conjectured that whatever large event occurred at the beginning of its new activity has not repeated itself.

Grand erupted on intervals of 6 to 10 1/4 hours while I was in the park but I did not see it after the 28th due to bad timing and even worse luck, so I don't have much else to say about it.

Fan & Mortar continued to have event cycles, but had not erupted as of 1745 on the 1st.  I saw plenty of Main Vent splashing and several pauses in prior event cycles, but didn't see (or infer) a full eruption of Bottom Vent until the afternoon of the 1st.

Thanks to Steve Eide for reporting times; it's hard to get many closed intervals when there are only 2 gazers in the basin.

My final wildlife sighting of the year was a group of 8 swans flying overhead while I waited for Grand at dusk on the 31st.  They were headed from the west towards Yellowstone Lake.

That's all til next year.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com