[Geysers] Steam Phases

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Thu May 31 11:10:24 PDT 2007

If one were to arrange the geysers of Yellowstone in order, starting with the
loudest steam phases, what would the list look like?

I feel that there are three levels of steam phase: 1) the rumble (Castle); 2)
the roar (Mortar); 3) the blast (Steamboat, and sometimes Beehive).  The blast
is characterized by crackling and popping sounds in addition to the other
racket.  To qualify as a blast, the observer should feel that the geyser is
going to rupture its plumbing.

There are a couple of steam phases that I have not had the chance to hear.
Union, by all accounts, was louder than Beehive, Castle or Lone Star.  Ledge
and Dark Cavern both had loud steam phases, but I am not sure where they
should go on the list.  Likewise, Splendid occasionally has steam phase
eruptions, but I have never seen one myself.

Here is my list, loudest geysers first:

Steamboat
Union?
Giantess