[Geysers] Geyser report May 12

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat May 12 17:11:09 PDT 2007

Grotto started a marathon last eveing at about 1900 and it was still in
eruption today at 1400 or so. Longish in any case, we are, of course, hoping  that
it doesn't quit until after dark. John and Allison Warnock are to let us
know for tomorrow. Yes, we know it's at only 4+ days right now. Even at the
14-hour mark of this eruption, Variable Spring was lower, muddier, and more
vigorously active than I've seen it in 3 or 4 years, yet Marathon Pool was not
nearly as low as with this season's "ordinary" marathons.

Some sort of event happened in the UGB, something that doesn't seem to be
earthquake related. But Heart Spring this morning was so opaque that one could
see only 6 or so inches into the water. And "Rubber Pool" (at the railing
between Liberty and Lion) was also a bit murky.

The Penta activity was fascinating, as yesterday's second eruption (the one
that started at about 1501-1502 after an interval of only about 2h 29m) was
still in eruption as of at least 1715. And today it had a powerful steam phase
eruption at the start of a Sawmill deep drain. That deep drain also boasted
an  Uncertain, at 1141ie steam.

Lion had an initial at 1012, but that's all we know.

Depression was at 0955, which means that it seems to be favoring 21 or so
hours.

Plume was 0834, 0929, and 1021ie.

Somebody called Aurum at 1227.

Grand was 0524E (interval approximately 8 1/2 hours), then 1322 (T1C). It
started with the first Turban after Rift shut down (it having a duration of 64
minutes).

Oblong was "empty" at about 0700, erupted at 1159.

Daisy back to long mode, with eruptions at 0755, 1016, and 1322.

A bunch of us tried for Fountain after the Grand, found that it had erupted
probably not long before, so we had a beer and talked... and went home.