[Geysers] New feature at Black Sand

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 16:29:39 PDT 2007

This comment is not meant to express an opinion either way about the new feature at Black Sand, given that I haven't seen it myself.  I merely wish to note that the discussion reminded me of something I saw at Orakei-Korako in New Zealand.  In the course of one afternoon, Dave and I saw two very distinct geysers, with totally different eruption styles--steamy jetting vs. bursting from a pool--and intervals, that appeared to be in the same place.  After much discussion, scrutiny through binoculars, and comparing photographs, we were certain that the two distinct geysers had in fact come out of the same hole near Pallette Pool.

This conclusion seems to be confirmed in T7, in "Summary of New Zealand Geysers: Waikato Region outside of Rotorua" by Katherine Luketina and Ashley Cody (p. 173):

"S795 is an active geyser on the east side of Artist's Palette terrace between Palette Pool and Pyramid of Geysers.  It has dense grey sinters and surrounds.  The vent is an irregular hole with a diameter of roughly 1 metres surrounded by broken collapsed sinter sheets.  The geyser plays about 1 metres high for several minutes, with intervals ranging from about 20 minutes to several hours.  The geyser is unusual in that recordings suggest this is actually two different geysers sharing one common vent to erupt through."

It was an interesting case, and certainly a rare one.  I just hope that the Black Sand feature continues erupting so that I have a chance to see it on Memorial Day.--Tara Crossfanandmortar at hotmail.com