[Geysers] Geyser report May 7

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon May 7 15:20:57 PDT 2007

Don't know what yesterday's Grotto marathon turned out to be, except that  it
evidently was rather short duration. This is shown both by the early hot
period action and the fact that Grotto Fountain started at 0828, Grotto at 0844.
Grotto went off at about 1050.

This morning, Joe Buttars was out there by about 0500. He caught a short  hot
period at 0521. At 0810 was a hot period that had me hoping. Though Mastiff
was mostly hidden by steam, when it could be seen it was several feet high;
when  it couldn't be seen, it could be heard. However, Giant did nothing
whatsoever,  and the whole thing lasted just 7m 27s.

Subsequent hot periods were 1041 (d = 3m38s) and 1302 (d = 7m10s). I didn't
stick around for the next one, but a glance a moment ago at the webcam shows
no  big steam cloud.

Only saw one Oblong, that at 0933ns.

Daisy on 2 1/2 hour intervals today: 0716ns, 0950, and !!! I didn't write  it
down !!!

Grand was 2033E last evening, then 0345E (7h 12m), and 1142 (T2C, 7h 57m).
This came about 30 minutes into West Triplet, and Rift started during Grand, at
 1148.

Again, Penta tried really hard, this time with visible flow well out into
the loose gravel beyond the sinter platform. But nope. The next cycle was Tardy
again, starting at 0958 but then interrupted when Sawmill decided to give it
a  go at 1037. Penta was high, but "Oh, well."

Castle was 2320 major last night, 1223 major today.

Depression 0903ie.

Lion 0913 not initial, 1021ie, and I think I saw steam from it in the
vicinity of noon.

Plume 0710; then 1011ie, 1108, 1211.

The difference with Beehive today was that no water was visible standing in
the still-orange Indicator. When Plume erupted, it acted as an efficient
drain.

Inbound, the new geyser at Black Sand was splashing several feet high. This
afternoon near 1300 it was barely steaming over a span of 20 minutes. I did
see  a nice "major" out of Jagged Spring, though.
'T'sall

Scott Bryan
I actually caught Aurum, from afar, at 1158. At about 0900, it acted like  it
was ready, so I wonder if "summer mode" has kicked  in.