[Geysers] Giant and Geyser report May 2

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed May 2 15:26:25 PDT 2007

Surprised so far to see nothing yet on the list about Giant. So...

GIANT last evening, May 1, at 1911. It was on the recovery hot period, a  bit
early only about 7 1/2 hours after Grotto quit. No, I wasn't there but I'm
told that Giant started about 12 minutes into the hot period. Mastiff had been
up and down, inches to 4 feet, almost constantly throughout, then took off
roughly 1 minute before Giant. New chart attached.

I think you all now know that the last (errr... "most recent") Beehive was
March 22 at 1611, this per the download data sent via Ralph Taylor.  Thanks!

Practically the first thing I saw today (after discovering that Giant had
erupted) was Grotto Fountain. And this was fun. Note the times:
0804 Grotto Fountain
0813 Grotto attempted to start with much churning inside the cone, but no
eruption.
0828 Grotto Fountain down to bursting to a few feet, South GF off.
0831 Grotto Fountain to 50 feet, SGF booming.
0832 Grotto with a humongous start
and then, yes
0842 Rocket major. Really. Duration only about 1 minute but definitely a
major.
I though sure that Grotto would quickly shut down, but it was still going  as
of 0920. Viewed from way up basin, I think it was off by 1000 and it
definitely was so as of 1030.

Daisy 0749 and 1054. It had not erupted again as of 1330.

Oblong was an empty hole at 0745, erupted at 1145.

Grand, after those nice short intervals (from yesterday overnight, at 2215E
and 0502E, intervals 7:21 and 6:43) today it decided to rest a bit. The
eruption  at 1302 (T2C, d=11m46s, first burst did not end until the 10m20s  point)
was an interval of 8h00m. But mystery here. I absolutely know that  West
Triplet (and Rift) did not erupt at any time between 0740 and this  eruption. During
the "build up" there was NO activity whatsoever even in  Percolator -- not
even visible steam (I have witnesses). Water finally became  visible in West
Triplet about when Grand ended, and it started at  1319.

Castle at 0432E was a minor, 0856 a major.

After hours of splashing around, Lion finally had the initial at 1257

BIOS

Plume evidently had a long interval this morning, as I was on Geyser Hill
for a good 45 minutes and did not see Plume enroute to, on, or enroute from the
Hill. However, we did see it from afar at 1154 and 1321.

We saw Plate, too, 1330ie.

Rather winded by then, I went up to the Snow Lodge for a snack, then came
out with a stop at West Flood, which again had heavy overflows but no visible
boils or bursts.

Steve Eide had Fountain at 1000, d=32 min.