[Geysers] Rainbow Springs question

s at weststartv.com s at weststartv.com
Thu Mar 22 19:07:48 PDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

There is an intermittent spring just in the Roaring
Mountain area.  There is one in the far northwest corner
of 100 Springs Plain and the third that I know of from
observation was active in the area known as "The Gap" in
1996-1998.  During the large expansion of the area in 1998
it was "eaten" by another spring and lost the oily
surface.
There were also several of the "iron oxide" type of
springs for a short time in "The Gap".  I was also shown
the "twig trick" by a geologist from the USGS when I was
showing him this area.  That is how I found out that these
three springs had "oily" deposits on them and not oxide.

Take Care,

Smokey